The Central Special Ratings Area (SRA), an initiative supported and aided by the Mandela Bay Development Agency (MBDA) which was recently approved through a Council vote, is now taking its final steps towards the full establishment of a management company to oversee its affairs by holding its inaugural AGM on the 9th of March.
“A Special Rating Area is a geographic area within the jurisdiction of a Municipality, determined or to be determined by Council in terms of Section 22 of the Municipal Rates Act 6 of 2004 as an area within which an additional rates amount shall be levied by the Municipality and paid over to a community-owned Company for its sole use in improving aspects of service delivery within that geographic area.
SRA’s play a crucial role as instruments for urban revitalization and neighbourhood improvement”, says MBDA spokesperson, Luvuyo Bangazi.
The call for Central property owners to nominate or serve as directors is the final step is establishing the company that will receive, allocate, manage and oversee all the funds collected by the Municipality. The SRA is currently operated by an interim committee whose term will end at the Annual General Meeting.
The interim SRA committee has made huge successful strides to date, including:
- Council approval for the formation of the Central SRA;
- Collection of revenue to start on 01/07/2020 aligned to the Municipal financial year;
- Confirmation of external funding contributions to the value of R1 million;
- Adoption of a strategic vision and plan for 2020 and beyond;
- Successfully lobbying for the approval of Bad Buildings Policy which gives role-players more direction in dealing with delinquent landlords/property owners;
- Currently finalising waste management agreements being facilitated between body corporates and the Municipality to deal with waste in Central.
“All interested residents and property stakeholders are welcome; however, voting is reserved only for members of the SRA. Members must bring with them an Identity document or card as well as a copy of the latest municipal account”, concluded Bangazi.
The Central SRA AGM will take place on the 9th of March at the Grand Hotel from 5:30pm.
For more information, stakeholders can call the SRA Coordinator at 082 4430 791, 074 4567 419 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Issued by the Mandela Bay Development Agency on behalf of the Central SRA interim committee.