PUBLIC ART COMMISSION – Neave street public park, Schauderville
The Mandela Bay Development Agency (MBDA), on behalf of the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality is calling for submissions of concepts and ideas by artists interested in producing and installing mosaic public artwork and other visual arts medium on the public park developed by the MBDA in Neave Street, Schauderville. Once short-listed, the artists will be given feedback and will be requested to work with the commissioning agent to finalize their proposals for the adjudication committee
Please drop off your first round submissions in either digital format (on disc), or on paper in a sealed envelope clearly marked as NEAVE STREET PUBLIC ART COMMISSION with your name and contact details at the MBDA office: 1st Floor, Tramways Building, Cnr Lower Valley Road & South Union Street, PO Box 74, Port Elizabeth, 6000. Email submissions to email@example.com not to exceed 3MB. The latest submission date (by drop off or email) is the 12 July 2019 by 12h00 noon
Compulsory briefing and questions and answer session are scheduled for 01 July 2019, 13:00pm at Tramways building, Main Boardroom. For more questions and to be informed on further QnA sessions please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org,za
- The competition is open to artists and designers working or living in Nelson Mandela Bay
- Submissions will not be returned. Please only provide copies of artworks or artwork submission mock-ups that will be kept by the MBDA in their archive.
- While submissions include supporting material, the proposed design and idea should speak for itself.
- The judging will be a transparent and discursive process by an adjudication committee comprising of stakeholders, consultants and community representatives.
- Submissions will be assessed on their aesthetic and artistic strength, the relevance to the overall conceptual framework and site-specific motivation, uniqueness of the concept, appropriateness in relation to current uses associated with the location, durability and ease of maintenance.
- The adjudication committee’s decision is final and no correspondences will be entered into with regards to the decision.
- MBDA reserves the right not to select a work should the adjudication committee not see the submissions as appropriate.
- Artists selected will need to work closely with the commissioning agency, engineers and fabricators appointed by the MBDA, unless otherwise negotiated
- Timelines and production scope might change based on site development
- It is understood that all proposed artworks submitted are the original creation of the competition entrant
The brief is to create a public artwork in mosaic and in any other medium of any combination of suitably compatible and durable materials in a suitable form that relates to the community and its history. The public artwork is intended to create a space for gathering and contemplation, also allowing for imagination for what it means to live in Schauderville. There are 11 schools with over 40 learners to interested participate in the development of the public art in the park. The community requested that the selected artist(s) will need to build in a strong skills training component as part of the public art development and installation
Based on a workshop with the learners, below are some of the inputs from the engagement;
The idea needs to consider, and will be evaluated based on the following;
- Local heroes in the community
- The role of the Church in this community
- Vibrancy (character/diversity/life)
- The value of education within this community
- The sport history of this community
- Resilient nature of this community
Durability and maintainability of the artwork, considering possibilities of vandalism and theft
Compulsory briefing: 09 July 2019
Submission of proposal: By 12 July 2019
Short-listing: By 26 July 2019
Selection and appointing: By 15 August 2019
Production and installation: By 30 November 2019